STEPS TO BECOMING A VOLUNTEER
Volunteers at the Winnipeg Humane Society are individuals who give their time to make a difference in the lives of animals. Consider joining our Volunteer crew in 5 simple steps. PLEASE NOTE: Individuals can complete a portion of the onboarding process from the comfort of their own home and have up to three months to complete. Our volunteer requirements are listed in our FAQs.
STEP 1 – Check Vacancies
- Review our Volunteer Vacancies to determine what available teams have assignments and are currently hiring. The application form will require you to note which assignment you are applying for, and the vacancies are updated monthly. If we do not have a vacancy in your assignment, we encourage you to check back soon.
STEP 2 – The Interview
- Upon completion of your volunteer application you will receive an email with ability to book your interview through an on-line appointment-based system with a volunteer services team member. Please review your email, as further instructions will follow once a date has been confirmed.
STEP 3 – The Orientation
- Once your interview is complete you will receive an email with upcoming in-person volunteer orientation session dates and can book the one you wish to attend. An on-line link to an orientation session will be provided for those who are not able to attend in person.
STEP 4 –Checks & Training
- Some volunteer assignments within our organization require a Criminal Record Check and a Child Abuse Registry Check. Checks will be reviewed and approved by the Manager, Volunteer Services and are considered current if obtained in the last six (6) months. Please review your email, as further instructions will follow regarding your assignment and any necessary checks to be completed.
- Once your orientation is complete, the WHS provides volunteers training free of charge on-line to ensure you have a good understanding of the tasks and responsibilities associated with your role and to better understand our shelter policies.
STEP 5 – First Shift
- We will schedule your first day with a volunteer mentor who will work with you until you feel comfortable in your assignment.