Ever since I transitioned to a Plant Based Lifestyle, I secretly still wanted to occasionally indulge in some sort of a cheese sauce; dairy free of course; but “cheezy” and creamy, none the less. More often then not, what would often come up in recipe shares and discussions, is “cheese” sauces with cashews. Even though cashews are a whole plant food, they are high in fat and my son has a severe allergy to them, so those are not an option for our nut-free kitchen. I was more then thrilled to find this recipe from Brand New Vegan, and blown away once I saw the ingredients! It is incredibly delicious over baked potatoes, cauliflower or broccoli, and great for dipping, to name a few tried, tested and true options. It is not unusual for me to scoop the remaining sauce right out of the blender, all by itself with a spoon!
A simple, healthy “must try” recipe for anyone and everyone! Enjoy this low fat, whole food plant based dreamy find!!
Amazing Vegan Cheese Sauce
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
- 16 oz Yukon Gold Potatoes (about 3 medium)
- 2-3 large Carrots
- 1/2 cup Water (used to boil potatoes)
- 1/4 cup Nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast (in addition to above)
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Brown Mustard
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric
- Wash and scrub both potatoes and carrots, peel if desired and chop into uniform pieces and boil for 10 minutes. OR INSTANT POT: Simply add them to your Instant Pot with 1 cup of water. Set to MANUAL and cook for 12 minutes. Allow to naturally release for 10 minutes before opening lid.
- Let rest for 5 minutes and then with a slotted spoon, transfer the veggies to your blender.
- Add 1/2 cup potato water and pulse to mix.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
Laura Platt has been enjoying a Whole Food Plant Based Lifestyle for almost two years, for her health, the environment and for the animals. She is happy to be a part of a local Winnipeg group called Plant Based Living Winnipeg, and has just completed an online Plant Based Nutrition Course with T. Colin Campbell Centre for Nutrition Studies. You can follow Laura’s Plant Based Instagram @lauraloon71.