Skip to content
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube

Animal Protection

To report a case of animal cruelty or neglect, call our Animal Abuse Line at 204-982-2028

To report an animal in distress, call our Emergency Line at 204-982-2020

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What governs the decisions the Animal Protection Officers make in regards to assessing the conditions of animals?

A. Our Animal Protection Officers (APOs) are appointed by the Province of Manitoba and work within the confines of Manitoba’s The Animal Care Act of Manitoba.

Q. What is the general procedure used when someone files an official complaint about the condition of someone else’s pet(s)?

A. First we gather as much information as we can regarding the complaint (i.e. address, description of animals involved, date and time of alleged offence). The APOs then review the obtained information to determine course of action.

Inspections are then performed. Information is gathered at the scene. The next course of action is determined by the findings/evidence at the scene. Depending on what actions are required under The Animal Care Act, we will take one of the following actions:

  • We will educate the owner (if present) on what changes need to be made to be made and issue corrections if required to be in compliance with The Animal Care Act of Manitoba.
  • We will leave a notice citing the corrections under The Animal Care Act of Manitoba that need to be made (if owner is not present). We ask that the owner contact us to discuss the situation. Rechecks may be performed.
  • If there is no compliance in a timely fashion, APOs may issue a Directors Order to gain compliance. APOs may also issue a Provincial Offence Notice if The Act has been contravened.
  • If the animal is in immediate distress, our APOs have the right to remove/seize the animal.

Q. Why can’t we simply seize an animal from a premises if we suspect it is ill or is being abused to some degree?

A. We must work within the law. If there are allegations against someone who is supposedly abusing an animal, we will investigate.

Each situation is assessed on a case by case basis. We cannot go out on a call with the assumption that the allegations are true. An investigation must be performed. Witnesses will be interviewed, information will be gathered from the owner as well as from the alleged offender. Also, a physical and mental assessment of the animal(s) on scene is performed. The information gathered from these sources will determine whether further actions are required under The Animal Care Act.

It is important for us to try to give the owner a chance to do what is right. Giving them the opportunity to accept the responsibility and be active in providing their own animal with the required care is, in many cases, an educational tool in preventing future offences.

Q. According to the Animal Care Act, what is the owner of a pet responsible for?

A. Manitoba’s Animal Care Act clearly states the duties of an owner as follows:

2. (1) A person who has ownership, possession or control of an animal:

(a) shall ensure that the animal has an adequate source of food and water;
(b) shall provide the animal with adequate medical attention when the animal is wounded or ill;
(c) shall provide the animal with reasonable protection from injurious heat or cold; and
(d) shall not confine the animal to an enclosure or area

(i) with inadequate space,
(ii) with unsanitary conditions,
(iii) with inadequate ventilation, or
(iv) without providing an opportunity for exercise, so as to significantly impair the animal’s health or well-being.

If we find that one or more of these duties are not being properly fulfilled, we will take further action.

Q. If I notice or suspect someone is abusing an animal, what should I do?

A. If you think an animal is not being cared for properly, call our Animal Abuse Line at 204-982-2028. If you are witnessing physical abuse right at this moment, call the Winnipeg Police as well as The WHS.

Q. Do the WHS Animal Protection Officers have authority throughout Manitoba?

A. Animal Protection Officers are appointed by the Province of Manitoba and as such are empowered to enforce The Animal Care Act throughout the province. However, APOs with the WHS are responsible for enforcing The Act within the City of Winnipeg.

If there is a welfare issue with an animal outside of the city, the Province’s Animal Care Line should be contacted at 204-945-8000; or toll-free at 1-888-945-8001.

Q. Why can’t The WHS reveal information regarding on-going investigations or certain cases of animal abuse?

A. Under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), we are responsible for keeping personal information private. Although a person may have a history of animal abuse or neglect, they are still protected under this act. If an investigation is on-going, is currently in court or awaiting a judicial decision, we must be careful not to jeopardize the case by releasing photos, names or other types of information.

We know this lack of information can be frustrating to people who may be wanting answers, but we must work under the law and follow proper procedures. Keep in mind, FIPPA also protects the complainant’s privacy.

Q. If there isn’t enough evidence to seize a pet from a property, is there anything the APOs can do?

A. The WHS must work within the confines of the Animal Care Act of Manitoba. The Act governs our actions and how we can proceed, including when we can remove an animal. However, we are here for the animals and their welfare is our number one concern. Countless times, our APOs have aided misguided owners by providing food, helping set up proper shelters, or providing behaviour advice. We are always here to educate those who need us, and are more than willing to help anyone who requires extra information or advice on how to take better care of their pets. We do our best to make owning an animal a rewarding experience.

APOs have a criteria used to determine distress and when an animals can be removed/seized due to the distress.

Q. Is it legal to chain your dog in Manitoba?

A. Yes, it is legal to keep your dog on a tether in Manitoba provided the “Duties of Owner” (see above) are being fulfilled. The acceptable tether length is three-times the length of the dog. Dogs must be tethered in a safe area free from debris and entanglements. Owners must follow Duties of Owner pertaining to accessible water, shelter, etc.