The humane movement in Winnipeg was formalized in 1894 with the founding of the “Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Women, Children and Animals.” By 1906 other agencies had been established to protect women and children, so the organization’s focus shifted to concentrate solely on animals. In 1909 a Woman’s Branch of the society was formed and this dedicated group of people worked on fundraising and education. After a closure from 1912 to 1919, the society and auxiliary reorganized with the goals of an animal shelter.
From 1923 to 1926 the organization received revenue from the Federated Budget Board, revenue that was supplemented by membership dues, donations and the auxiliary. In 1926 the Federated Budget Board withdrew its support and the Society relied more heavily on it other revenue sources.
From 1927 to 1958, The Winnipeg Humane Society flourished under the direction of Sally Warnock, society secretary. In 1929 the first shelter to house animals was opened on Logan Avenue.
During the time the ladies’ auxiliary was very active, raising funds with their now famous teas and assisting with the construction of the Logan Avenue shelter.
Sally Warnock’s death in 1958 brought an end of an era. Following her passing, The Winnipeg Humane Society took a turn for the worse, and in 1966 The Humane Society had to once again close until the funds could be raised for a new facility.
In 1968 The Winnipeg Humane Society reopened in a new facility, at 5 Kent Street. In October 2007, we moved into our new, state-of-the-art building at 45 Hurst Way. We look forward to a bright future at our new location.