WHAT TO DO IF YOU’VE FOUND A PET
- File a report with the Winnipeg Humane Society by calling the Lost & Found Department at 204-982-2025. It is important to remember that you must call this line first before bringing a pet to the Winnipeg Humane Society.
- The WHS currently has a waiting list for the intake of dogs and will not be able to receive stray dogs. If you have found a stray dog in the city of Winnipeg, please take it to the City of Winnipeg Animal Services Agency. If you have a stray dog found out of the city of Winnipeg, contact your Municipal Animal Control Office. We accept strays from outside of the city only on our waitlist.
- Let social media groups dedicated to reuniting lost pets know of the found pet:
Care to Adopt:
Do you want to keep a stray you find?
- We will check for ID and search lost reports
- Take the cat home and help us look for an owner
- If unclaimed after 5 to 14 days, you can adopt the cat
- Cost? $35 (plus applicable taxes) for spay/neuter, vaccinations, deworming, and City of Winnipeg licence
Care to Foster:
Can you take care of the cat until we have space?
- You temporarily take the cat home
- We provide everything you need to take care of kitty
- Kitty comes back when ready for Adoption
Care to Rehome:
- Complete the surrender profile on our website to get your pet onto our wait list, www.winnipeghumanesociety.ca/pet-owners/surrendering-your-pet
- Find a home for your pet while waiting for shelter space
- The pet’s new owner can use the WHS Clinic for low cost spay/neuter, vaccinations, City of Winnipeg licence. Cost? $35 (plus applicable taxes)