In 2019, the Winnipeg Humane Society stepped up its efforts to build its corporate relationships and one way was through volunteer engagement. What’s great about our program is that corporate teams can commit to volunteer for a half day, full day or monthly commitment. The team learns about the WHS with a personalized tour and then volunteers to complete a shelter project. Employers who encourage volunteer group engagement say it helps to strengthen the relationships between team members, while focusing on a common interest – the animals.
We are very grateful to 165 individuals from 16 corporations who collectively donated 742 hours to make a difference to animals in our community through these projects in 2019.
- Outdoor spring clean-up with garbage being removed and leaves raked.
- 50 cats received blankets and bonus adoption packages.
- The Joyce Gauthier Centre and our Adoption areas were cleaned like they have never been.
- Our three veggie gardens were planted, feeding our rabbits & critters over the summer.
- Three new garden beds were weeded and planted with perennials, which we will enjoy year after year.
- A new picnic area was cleared for our staff and volunteers.
- The design, installation and donation of materials for new stainless-steel backsplashes to protect our walls around sink areas.
- Painting of our back shed.
- Stones were cleared, making our dog runs safer.
- Beautification of gardens was kept up all season, making our shelter an inviting place to our visitors.
- Our See Spot Read Program materials were prepared, assisting 108 kids.
- Pet toy materials were prepared, which in turn 65 kids were engaged in an opportunity to volunteer through our Kids Give Back project.
- 75 pet hampers were put together and distributed over the holiday season.
We are currently planning our 2020 schedule for Corporate Teams and encourage your team to plan for the WHS as your place to volunteer. Find more information on our Corporate Team Giving Program here.