The Warehouse Cat program (also known as the Barn Buddies program) gives cats who are considered unadoptable due to behavioural issues the opportunity to live in a warehouse or shop.
Before adoption, The WHS will spay or neuter, health check and vaccinate all Warehouse Cats felines. The cats will also be given a tattoo and be deemed non-aggressive. If a medical issue develops after you take the possession of the cat, you as the owner are responsible for medical care.
- May have severe litter box/house soiling issues
- Have a behavioural issue that prevents the cat from living indoors with a family
- Must be social to a degree and easy to catch
- Must be spayed/neutered (The WHS will perform the surgery)
- De-clawed cats are not eligible for Warehouse Cats
PLEASE NOTE: The Winnipeg Humane Society selects eligible cats from the cats already in our care. If you have a cat that you want to surrender to The WHS simply because you believe it is a candidate for the Warehouse Cats program, there is no guarantee the cat will be enrolled.
Eligible warehouses or shops
- Adopters must be able to pick up their new Warehouse Cat within 24 hours of being contacted
- Cats must have shelter available in a barn, building or stable
- Daily food and water must be provided
- Owner must agree to long-term veterinary care, if needed and as required
- The farm or shop must have a secure place to keep the cats indoors during their first 2-3 weeks “on the job” while they acclimate to their new surroundings (click here for an example)
A $40 donation is suggested to defray the costs of the program.