The program assigns each of our adoptable cat one of nine personality types – or feline-alities – through a set of behavioural assessments. Each feline-ality is put into one of three colour groups.
- PURPLE CATS are quieter and affectionate
- ORANGE CATS are confident and playful
- GREEN CATS are ready to go and bolder than the average cat
Adopters are then asked to fill out a survey about themselves that asks questions such as:
- Is your home more like a carnival or a library?
- How do you feel about playing the “chase the human ankles” game with your cat?
- What are you truly looking for in a new pet?
The Nine “Feline-alities”
I’m working undercover to keep an eye on you and your household. You may not even know you’re under surveillance. I can vanish into thin air if anyone or anything interferes with my investigation. If you need a cat who knows how to stay out of trouble and will always keep your secrets, I just might take your case.
When it comes to relationships, I’m very level-headed. I don’t leap in paws first, if you know what I mean. But give me a little time, and then I’ll shower you with purrs, head-butts, and plenty of lap time. In the meantime, you may not see a lot of me, but I’ll be thinking a lot of you!
Do you seek affection? I do! If you also like petting, purrs, and paws kneading your lap, I think we might have a LOT in common. I’m looking for “someone who enjoys quiet times and togetherness.” Could that someone be you?
I have to say, I’m a busy cat. First, I’ve got to check out what’s happening out the window. Next, I’ll see if any closets or cupboards need looking into. And then there are my naps–can’t be late for those. I can fit a little socializing into my schedule. Shall we plan on breakfast and dinner? I hope you like kibbles.
Like all sidekicks, I’m just plain good company. I like attention, and I also like my solitude. I don’t go looking for trouble, but I’m no scaredy-cat, either. If you are looking for a steady companion to travel with you on the road of life, look no further.
You’re working on the computer? Let me press the keys. Reading the paper? I’ll hold the pages down for you. Watching TV? I’ll just plop in your lap so you can pet me. I love an orderly household, don’t you? I’ll help you with all your chores, and I’ll help you relax when we’re done. You’ll wonder how you ever managed without me.
I’m a savvy cat who knows the score. I’m pretty unflappable, too. I don’t mind entertaining myself, but a human companion at the other end of the couch and a nice scratch behind the ears always make my day. If you’re looking for a resourceful addition to your team, think about signing this Most Valuable Pussycat.
I’m a cat on a mission: PARTY! I love to play and explore and test my limits. I’d love to play with you, but I can make a toy out of anything: pencils, post-it notes, potatoes. If you’re looking for some laughs and someone to liven up the party, think about inviting me.
LEADER OF THE BAND
I’m a cat who does everything in a big way. I not only like to be in the middle of things–I like to lead the parade. I’m an adventurous cat, but I’ll still make plenty of time to show you my affectionate side. I’m the demonstrative type, you might say. Want a cat who’s brimming with confidence? That’s me.
- You are free to mix and match colours. The program in no way requires you to choose a cat with a particular feline-ality.
- The program is designed and owned by the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) and has already been tested at several shelters. (Visit the ASPCA website for more information on the organization.)
- Test runs of the program found a 40-45% increase in adoptions.
- Test runs of the program also found a 45-50% decrease in returns and euthanasia.