The Winnipeg Humane Society no longer maintains an open door policy for owned animals. You must speak with an Animal Advisor and make an appointment to bring your animal(s) in.
Surrendering your animal to The WHS should be your LAST resort
Due to the volume of animals the shelter receives each and every day, we are NOT able to guarantee the future of your pet. You will be required to sign a form indicating that you understand our policy that your pet may be euthanized (put to sleep).
We understand that surrendering your pet is a very difficult decision to make. Should we be your last resort, please be honest with our Animal Advisors. They are here to help and gather as much information as possible to ensure your pet can/will be successfully adopted into a new home.
We work very hard to give each animal that comes through our doors the proper care and an opportunity for a new home. In order to do that we must limit our Intake to match our space and other resources. In the event that our shelter is full, we will put your pet on a waiting list. The length of wait can vary between a few days and a few weeks. It is important to not wait for the last minute to try and resolve your pet’s behaviour issues or attempt to find a new home for your pet.
- Have I sought guidance from expert sources regarding behaviour problems or allergies?
- If so, have I followed their advice and given it enough time?
- Have I spread the word through family, friends, and coworkers?
- Have I contacted the shelter/breeder/person I got the animal from?
- If the animal is a purebred, have I tried contacting a rescue group for that breed? (Please ask an Animal Advisor if you need a purebred rescue’s phone number.)
- Have I tried the WHS Behaviour Help Line to correct my pet’s behaviour?
Please feel free to contact the Animal Intake Department at (204) 982-2021, Option 5 anytime for further guidance. We hope we can be a valuable resource to you by offering services such as behaviour consultations, customized information mail-outs, practical advice, and support during this difficult time.
Try contacting these shelters:
To surrender your pet, please call Animal Intake at 204-982-2021, Option 5
- If you leave a message, remember to include your name and phone number.
- If you are considering euthanasia of your pet for health, age or temperment reasons, the WHS strongly encourages you to seek the guidance of your veterinarian.
- The WHS does not operate a full service veterinary clinic.
At time of surrendering an animal (stray or owned) please be ready to show photo identification. Animals must come confined. Dogs should be on a leash or in a crate/carrier. Cats and critters should be confined in a cage/crate/carrier or box with holes for air.
After confirming your appointment with animal intake, please fill out the appropriate surrender form AND behaviour questionnaire below: