Ready to bring home your new best friend?
Adopting a new family member is a great way to give a deserving rescue animal a chance at a happy life. All animals are a big responsibility, so make sure you take time to think, plan and prepare before your adopt.
Once you’ve made your decision, come down to The Winnipeg Humane Society at 45 Hurst Way to start the adoption process. Weekends at the shelter are very busy, so try to come on a weekday to pick out your new pet. View our Location and Hours, or consider visiting one of our Satellite Locations.
You must be 18 years of age or older to adopt.
What to bring
- Proof of address with identification (such as a driver’s license)
- All family members that will be living with the animal(s), to ensure the match is right for everyone
- Your current dog, to introduce him or her to a dog you’re considering for adoption
- A carrier if you’re adopting a cat, or a leash if you’re adopting a dog (these items are also available for purchase in our gift shop)
Print out and fill in an adoption form to speed up the process at the shelter:
- The adoption procedure may take 20 to 40 minutes or more
- Be prepared to show us ID with your current address and answer an Animal Adoption Survey
- Some animals are held 1 to 5 days to be spayed or neutered
- A $25.00 non-refundable deposit will hold a particular animal for 24 hours
- Pay your Adoption Fee with cash, Interac, Visa, MasterCard, or AMEX
Did you know?
- Our adoption counsellors can advise you which dog will be suited to your home.
- All dogs 6 months and older are assessed by behaviour specialists, who have also given them some basic training.
- All animals are evaluated based on their health, known history, and temperament.
- Adopted animals are monitored for a 14-day health period to address medical concerns.
- Animals are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Along with cats, dogs, and rabbits, we often have other animals available, including birds, hamsters, guinea pigs, ferrets, gerbils, and more!
How much does it cost?
- Review our Adoption Fees
We can help find the right pet for you. Call our Adoptions Department at 204-982-2035.