The Barn Buddies program (also known as the Warehouse Cats program) gives cats who are considered unadoptable due to behavioural issues the opportunity to live in a farm, barn, warehouse or shop.
While The Winnipeg Humane Society does not advocate for allowing cats outdoors, this program can save the lives of cats who have no other options. Before adoption, The WHS will spay or neuter, health check and vaccinate all Barn Buddy cats. The cats will also be given a tattoo and be deemed non-aggressive. If a medical issue develops after you take the possession of the cat, you as the owner are responsible for medical care.
- May have severe litter box/house soiling issues
- Have a behavioural issue that prevents the cat from living indoors with a family
- Must be social to a degree and easy to catch
- Must be spayed/neutered (The WHS will perform the surgery)
- De-clawed cats are not eligible for Barn Buddies
PLEASE NOTE: The Winnipeg Humane Society selects eligible cats from the cats already in our care. If you have a cat that you want to surrender to The WHS simply because you believe it is a candidate for Barn Buddies, there is no guarantee the cat will be enrolled in the program.
Eligible barns or shops
- Adopters must be able to pick up their new Barn Buddy cat within 24 hours of being contacted
- Cats must have shelter available in a barn, building or stable
- Daily food and water must be provided
- Owner must agree to long-term veterinary care, if needed and as required
- The farm or shop must have a secure place to keep the cats indoors during their first 2-3 weeks “on the job” while they acclimate to their new surroundings (click here for an example)
A $40 donation is suggested to defray the costs of the program.